Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
General Scope of Duties: Works under the direction of the Submarine Curator in the areas of guided tours and education programs, specifically the USS Cobia Overnight Education Program.
Specific Scope of Duties:
1. Know established script for the submarine USS Cobia and be familiar with the Museum exhibits. Use submarine script as basis for performance of guided tours through the submarine, however ongoing learning of submarine knowledge is strongly encouraged.
2. Work in a demanding customer service environment where the first concern is providing the highest quality visitor experience and ensuring the visitor’s safety at all times.
3. Perform necessary administrative and supervisory duties during Overnights. Direct all educational activities during the Overnight Program and be proficient in all educational activities.
4. Maintain general cleanliness and appearance of submarine by supervising participant clean up. Maintain the general cleanliness of the tour guide desk and any/all areas used by participants in the Museum.
5. Perform tasks necessary for the safety and security the Museum and submarine. Duties include:
· Proper procedure for opening and closing the museum and submarine.
· Ensuring that at least one staff member is present on the boat at all times.
· Assist the front desk staff in maintaining order while participants are in and around the front desk and museum store.
6. Adhere to the dress and grooming standards as outlined in the Employee Handbook. Maintain personal hygiene and a professional appearance in proper work attire.
7. Administer any additional duties as assigned by the Submarine Curator
8. Offer suggestions relative to job improvements.
1. Effective communication skills.
2. Ability and willingness to interact and work with the public for extended periods of time.
3. Self-initiative in the completion of tasks.
4. Maintenance of professional appearance while working at the Museum.
5. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and Museum special events.
6. Ability to work in confined areas for extended periods of time.
7. Ability to lead group tours and Overnight participants through the submarine within guidelines established by the Museum.
8. Demonstrate dependability, reliability, and punctuality while working scheduled shifts.
9. Ability to work well with children.
10. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with staff and volunteers.
11. Eighteen years of age or older.