Visitor Engagement & Retail Coordinator
Classification: Full-time, weekends required
Compensation: $14-16/hour, dependent on experience with a comprehensive benefits package
Reports to: Director of Education & Programs
Direct Reports: Visitor Engagement staff & volunteers
Applications Due: March 8, 2021
Estimated Start Date: April 1, 2021
The Visitor Engagement & Retail Coordinator collaborates with staff across the institution to provide a welcoming and engaging experience for all visitors to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum. This position aims to create an above-and-beyond visitor experience to increase visitor loyalty, drive membership sales and attract new visitors. The Coordinator also supports and participates in ongoing efforts to ensure institutional accessibility.
In addition to coordinating the visitor experience, the Coordinator also manages the day-to-day operations of the museum’s gift store. This includes maintaining a budget, inventory management, product orders, display creation and managing the online store.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Respond to telephone, voicemail, written, and e-mail inquiries for information regarding visits, tours, accessibility, etc.; inform visitors of pertinent admissions policies, and send out museum materials as appropriate
- Manage the museum’s gift store including purchasing product, maintaining a budget and creatively marketing sales or products; design thematic displays
- Manage communications with visitor engagement staff and volunteers to ensure they are informed and updated on current and upcoming events
- Work closely with the Financial Services Coordinator to maintain financial and data integrity, ensure sales and satisfaction performance targets are tracked and met
- Assemble and analyze relevant admissions data. Prepare and deliver weekly, monthly, and other reports as requested, detailing visitor experience activities and sales
- Manage the museum’s membership sales and working closely with the Communications Coordinator to meet sales goals and creatively market the membership programUpdate the museum’s online gift store with new products and product highlights
- Recruit, train, supervise and mentor the Visitor Engagement team
- Provide oversight of all visitor-experience activities and programs; participate in and help drive institutional planning that touches on all aspects of the visitor’s experience
- Co-design and implement staff trainings to ensure that all front-line staff can effectively engage audiences from a wide range of backgrounds
- Supervise and train front-line staff on cash handling, data entry and accounting systems related to admissions and other sales transactions
- 2-5 years of experience in customer service and/or retail with experience with non-profits or museums preferred
- Bilingual abilities preferred
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Experience with or willingness to learn about financial record-keeping practices and procedures
- Proficient with G-Suite and experience with Square point-of-sale system preferred
ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The Wisconsin Maritime Museum was founded more than 50 years ago as a small submariners’ memorial that would recognize Wisconsin’s contributions to the World War II efforts. Since then, we’ve grown to be the state’s maritime museum with exhibits on shipwrecks, maritime industry, ship models, art and more. The institution is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Our mission is to connect all people to Wisconsin’s waterways through engaging exhibits, inclusive programs and our world-class collection.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, ACCESSIBILITY & INCLUSION
The Wisconsin Maritime Museum is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender identity, age, class, sexuality, religion, ability or national origin. WMM is committed to advancing equity and diversity both in the organization and in the museum field.
We welcome applications from BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) candidates, people with disabilities, LGBTQ+ individuals and others with experience in meaningful diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility engagement.
We are committed to providing an accessible application process. If you require any accommodations, email email@example.com or call (920) 374 4005.
Resumes and cover letters should be sent to Abigail Diaz (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 8, 2021.